Monday 12 December 2011

The Rogues - Train Kept A-Rolling b/w You Better Look Now (Audition - 1966)


In my world, music is what keeps me spiritual aligned to the material world, through my record collection I vicariously live out my own life turmoils, pleasures and experiences.

One such record which arrived on my door-step this week was an original and mint copy of garage folk-rock opus The Rogues and their 45rpm single Train Kept A-Rolling b/w with the hypnotic and amazing 'You Better Look Now'.

The latter track has been a song in which upon my first listen to it on The Teenage Shutdown compilation series a few years ago, captivated me beyond comprehension.

I thought to myself I must search out this 45, it means so much to me, thankfully the time came and I managed to purchase the 45 at a very good price.

The Rogues hailed from Buffalo, New York and as stated above, created for me one of the finest moments in teenage 60s garage music.

I am unable to find any information in my record collection which gives me details on who The Rogues' as people were, all I know is they were a Buffalo NY group.

The track 'You Better Look Now' has been special to me for nigh on near to 5 years now, I was so exceptionally happy to finally pick up an original 45 of this.

Have a listen to the track below.



What I love about this song, aside from the folk punk genius which is hitting my aural nerve centres, is the lyrical aptness that coincidentally speaks to me on a whole different and relative level, the song is much more substantial moreso now than ever.

What I really dig about this song, is it is an extension to my own vocabulary, in essence it does my talking for me, it conveys the message I need to get out of my soul, it tells the story of me and let's you know how and what I am thinking and feeling at this moment in time.

A 12 string guitar solo, which sends the heart into a frenzy, a bass line which holds the tears back and vocal harmonies which each sound enriched with turmoil and teen-tragedy.

Lyric lines which instantly jump out at me and of which I consider truly genius are -

"Well be that way then!, be stubborn and cruel, admit that you're lost and there'll be no chance for you"

"Be true to your friends, that's what you told me you'd be like, but as it turned out, it was true, you told me a lie, now all that is left, is memory past"

"you say you'll be mine, but there is no telling whose on your mind"


Pure GENIUS... a class song, for broken hearted young men, lost in an abundance of foggy notion and confusion.


The Flip-side of the 45 is a work of art too, possibly the most savage cover version of Train Kept A-Rolling to ever grace tape.

Both sides are easily found on the Teenage Shutdown compilation series.

Enjoy

Paul Messis


3 comments:

  1. Paul

    I made contact with a huge Rogues fan who followed the group when she was a teenager and took many pics of the group which she kindly shared.

    Mike Spriggs from The Rogues also made contact with me to tell me how chuffed he was that his 60s band were being written about.

    http://expo67-cavestones.blogspot.com/search/label/Rogues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's really Cool Colin... with any luck same guys will contact me and be amazed a twenty something in the UK adores their record.... in fact their record is therapy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Mr.Paul, congratulation for your blog .I'am Vinz caveman ... my blog is hare :http://paradiseofgaragecomps.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete